Areas of Research: Biophysics, Modeling and Computation, Cell and Developmental Biology, Computational Biology
- Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
D404D Engineering Quadrangle
My group develops theoretical and computational models and collaborates with experimentalists to investigate a wide range of problems at the intersection of Mechanics, Soft Matter and Biological Physics. Examples include, development of lungs and bacterial biofilms, expansion/collisions of cell tissues, intracellular phase separation, and physics of viral capsids.
- S. Mao, M. S. Chakraverti-Wuerthwein, H. Gaudio, and A. Košmrlj, Designing morphology of separated phases in multicomponent liquid mixtures, arXiv:2005.12842 (2020)
- M. A. Heinrich, R. Alert , J. M. LaChance, T. J. Zajdel, A. Košmrlj, and D. J. Cohen, Tissue size controls patterns of cell proliferation and migration in freely-expanding epithelia, bioRxiv 2020.02.28.970418 (2020)
- C. Fei, S. Mao, J. Yan, R. Alert, H.A. Stone, B.L. Bassler, N.S. Wingreen, and A. Košmrlj, Non-uniform growth and surface friction determine bacterial biofilm morphology on soft substrates, PNAS 117 (14), 7622-7632 (2020)
- A. Singh, A. Košmrlj, and R. Bruinsma, Finite Temperature Phase Behavior of Viral Capsids as Oriented Particle Shells, PRL 124, 158101 (2020)
- K. Goodwin, S. Mao, T. Guyomar, E. Miller, D. C. Radisky, A. Košmrlj, and C. M. Nelson, Smooth muscle differentiation shapes domain branches during mouse lung development, Development 146, dev181172 (2019)
- J. Yan, C. Fei, S. Mao, A. Moreau, N. S. Wingreen, A. Košmrlj, H. A. Stone, and B. L. Bassler, Mechanical Instability and Interfacial Energy Jointly Drive Biofilm Morphogenesis, eLife 8, e43920 (2019)
- S. Mao, D. Kuldinow, M. P. Haataja, and A. Košmrlj, Phase behavior and morphology of multicomponent liquid mixtures, Soft Matter 15, 1297-1311 (2019)
- M. Snoussi, J. P. Talledo, N.-A. Del Rosario, S. Mohammadi, B.-Y. Ha, A. Košmrlj, and S. Taheri-Araghi, Heterogeneous Absorption of Antimicrobial Peptide LL37 in Escherichia coli Cells Enhances Population Survivability, eLife 7, e38174 (2018)
View complete list of Publications.